Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Human Body

Very late Sunday night, my friend D.K. and I went to the UT Health Science Center to look at cadavers. Why you might ask? Cause I've never really touched a dead body before. He's in medical school and was talking about how interesting the human body is based on the cadavers they are learning on. I said that I would love to see and that's how this crazy idea was born. So it's 10:30 on Sunday night and we sneak in the class. Technically I'm not supposed to be there but... no one was there that night. I have to admit, once the body rose from the formaldehyde, I was starting to rethink the whole idea. It just took awhile for me to calm down. It really helped that D.K. has absolutely no qualms about handling the body. He showed me the human anatomy and it's very interesting to see how simple yet complex the body is. It makes me rethink cutting up whole chicken. It was weird to see a severed leg. Just one of the reasons why I didn't become a doctor, mortician, detective or anything that involves dead bodies.

The smell of formaldehyde was overbearing. Eventually I mustered up the courage to touch the heart, kidney, hand and muscles. Very weird. It also left the smell of formaldehyde on my hands forever. The hardest part was going to an empty home. My roommate chose a very bad time to go on vacation. Since it was now past midnight, my imagination started to creep up on me. I couldn't take the smell of my fingers anymore so I sprinkled bleach on my hands. It stinks also but at least it doesn't make me think of dead bodies. I didn't have a nightmare that night but I did last night. I had to think about the gospel a lot to get me through the night. It was quite an experience.

3 comments:

Rebex said...

Oh, now I know who you went with. Too funny! You crack me up. Hope you have better dreams tonight. :)

katieg said...

Isn't the human body so interesting? Crazy how complex it is!

Brittany said...

I like how you wrote this post. When I took anatomy with cadavours I wore clothes only for that class so the smell didn't get on everything (athough my packpack and notebook always smelled). And I had to not let myself remember that these were once fully functioning people, instead they were just true-to-form models we used in class :)