Thursday, March 13, 2008

Phantom of the Opera

D.U. and I went to Phantom of the Opera last night and I had one of the best nights of my life. Any theater experience is always nice but this was Phantom. I've wanted to go since I can remember. This was when I was in Cali still and dreamed of going to the San Francisco Opera House. Probably because I wanted to be like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman (not a prostitute but being at that theater). I was hooked as soon as the chandelier came to life and Phantom's theme song roared through the stage. I was in awe of the creativity that puts the whole production to life. I didn't like the movie too much but this totally makes up for it. I love how you get to see the actions but still have to imagine that they really are on a boat ride, or peaking on the roof top with the city below or running up and down stairs to a secret underground lair. The singing was phenomenal. I've always loved the songs but to hear it live and projected so well. Everything was wonderful. The musical was also a little humorous and scary. I startled a few times. I won't ruin the ending but I really want to know how it gets accomplished. D.U. had seen it already and was prepared to study the ending and still he couldn't figure it out. They always say it's the magic of cinematography but I think theater work has a lot cooler magic. We also got to go to the starlight room. Translation: no waiting in line for the bathroom. I felt so V.I.P. To top off a great evening D.U. suggested we wait backstage and get autographs. This is not a very typical Linda thing to do but I was excited so off we went. It was the best topper for the night. We got to meet some of the stars and they were so nice. They signed our playbill and let us take pictures. We weren't prepared for autographs so we didn't have a pen. D.U. had to run all the way back to the car and get us one. Good thing he's in shape. I wanted to follow the Phantom to his hotel room but I didn't. It wasn't because that was stalkerish and crazy but because I couldn't think of anything witty to say to him other than "good job." So we left on a great high and the desire to go to as many musicals and Broadway productions as we possibly can. I am so going to see Wicked and possibly Wedding Singer and Spamalot. Life is much more fun when you're willing to be adventurous. I am going to do a lot more things that I've just always fantasize about.

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

How fun!!! I need to hear though :) I can't wait! Oh, and let me know when you go see Wicked, that's one I HAVE to see :)

Chrissy said...

need to hear MORE*. left that word out ;)