Thursday, August 21, 2008

America's Best Dance Crew and XXIX Olymics

I spent all of today catching up on my hip hop dance crews. I was very sad to see my fav Fanny Pak not be in the final 2. I have to admit that when I first saw them I thought they were a joke. They have this 80's look that doesn't necessarily scream hip hop but I fell in love the moment they started dancing. They are creative, fun and sadly underrated. Week after week, they continue to prove themselves and rise to the top. They are the ultimate underdog. But they were eliminated right before the final, which I thought was crap b/c they were so much better than the other crew. I laughed out loud when I saw them perform. Oh well, they did their best and gained a cult following. My favs are as followed: Jabawoki's, Kabba Modern and then Fanny Pak. The final was today and Super Crew won. I wasn't particularly interested. Until the next round.

On to the Summer Games. This is actually the first year I've watch the Olympics since the great 1994 games in Atlanta. I spent a grueling 2 weeks obsessing over the women's gymnastics team and discovered swimming, track, syncro, diving and basically all the other sports played. I don't think I saw the sun for 2 weeks. As much as I loved the anticipation, the joys, the sadness, the pride of being an American, it makes me very depressed watching. I get so overwhelmed by their dedications. Seeing their ups and downs and tears really take a toll on me. I cry at every medal ceremony and I just can't keep putting myself through that. So I've kinda been on an Olympic strike ever since until this year. I've watched a few rounds and it wasn't that bad. Mainly I've watched gymnastics but I've been ok so far. I have to turn the channels at times and I can't watch too much before I start to get anxious but it's been a great experience. I haven't cried once.... well I've teared up but that's a huge accomplishment to how it has been. I caught myself googling the medal count for this year and of all the years past. Then I started to check on the countries of who've won, who participated and how many different countries joined. I started to get a little overwhelmed so I had to stop. I just want to enjoy the beauty and pride of the games without getting crazy obsessed so I just need to pace myself.

No comments: