Thursday, November 6, 2008

Celestial Marriage

I usually work on Wednesday nights so I miss out on Institute but I was able to go last night and it was one of the best classes in awhile. I went to Celestial Marriage w/ Bro. Facer simply because my friends were in that class. I've always thought, Celestial Marriage? How desperate do I need to look? I thought it would be a class about how much we aren't doing what we're supposed to do cause we aren't married yet. I thought that the whole time, getting married would be shoved down our throats. Boy was I wrong. I've heard a lot of good things but I saw how the class really is about giving you tools to have a successful marriage. It really shows how the gospel is the core and driving force of marriage. It gives faith, light and hope in a time where marriage is disinagrating. It puts back the perspective on why we are here, get married and have children. It is like counseling but w/ the Lord as our therapist.

The lesson was on the differences between men and women and the need of respect for one another. Today, too often, we fight about equality and Independence and lose site on balancing and learning from each other. Bro Facer stressed that Women are highly respected and have the precious gift of being mothers. I've struggled in the past with not wanting to be submissive and wanting to do everything that men are able to do. This article by Boyd K. Packer titled "For Time and All Eternity" reminds me of the bigger picture the Lord has giving us on Marriage.

2 comments:

Zach O. said...

sounds like good times...i'll have to check out that talk...see what all the fuss is about.

katieg said...

I love the Celestial Marriage class! It not only helps with how to strengthen marriage, but interactions and realtionships with everyone around you. It's a little bit of heaven on earth =0)