Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Texas??

I looked up San Antonio and it is ranked as the 7th largest city in the U.S. How is it that sometimes they do things so backwards here? Case in point. I got a ticket earlier in the month and had a court date today. I made the trek downtown. That, in itself, I don't like to go b/c all downtowns are crazy. So I end up lost for a bit and have to circle the same block 10 thousand times. Finally, I make it to the Municipal Courthouse. I go to the Information desk and the lady tells me to go to courtroom 4. I go and besides the judge and clerks, it's just me. They call me up and I'm thinking that wow, this will be fast and simple. Nope, I'm in Texas and they do things the long way here. So the clerk gives me a paper and tells me to go to room 1&2. It's one big room. Well then why is it called 1&2? Whatever, I roll with it. I go talk to the prosecutor who tells me how much I owe and that I need to go to room 4. I was just in room 4. I go back, give the same clerk my paper, she tells me to sit down and wait to be called. The room is practically empty. Finally the judge calls me up, tells me how much I need to pay (which the prosecutor already did) and sends me to the other clerk in the room. Mind you all this is happening all in one room and everyone is sitting next to each other. I'm thinking, fine, I can pay the 2nd clerk and be done. I give her my paper, she also tells me how much I need to pay and that I need to take my papers to the cashier. Ohh O.K. I've had 2 other people tell me that and I've walked around in circles. I saw absolutley no point to any of this. So then I walk around to the cashier, which is right where the prosecutor was. Finally, I get to pay my fine and leave. It wasn't that it took a long time, cause I was out of there within 30 mins. It was that there was no point to walking from the same room to the next. It was just pointless and a waste of time. It surprises me that a city this big is still so backwards. And no offense to Texas but they don't find anything wrong w/ the way the city is run. I find a lot of things they do here backwards. The road system, the lack of drainage on the streets, parking lots that don't join w/ the lots next to them, how you can't register your car at the DMV. I really really LOVE Texas and San Antonio but I really question how they run things here. It's like a big city w/ small town mentalitly. I think things can be a lot more productive if they cut out useless wastes if time. Now I'm off my complaining soap box.

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

this is hilarious. i love haring your take on it. i just picture all these officials telling you where to go and making you 'dance' for them :) 'dance puppets!'

Anonymous said...

That's your government at work for ya. Like I have always said, San Antonio is just a larger El Paso. It's a "tomorrow" type attitude. "Don't worry, it will get done tomorrow". At least you got a geat workout with all the walking!

Yangster said...

Who is Anonymous? Please let me know. I love hearing from people and love to know who you are.