Sunday, November 2, 2008

Camping in the great outdoors

I planned this camping trip last week for me and a few of my friends. This is what you get when you only drive 30 mins to camp.
A few funny things about this campsite. Where we were sleeping, there was no grass. I just always thought that when one camps, grass is a given. When I was looking up the campsite, they also mentioned there were fire rings. They just failed to mention that the fire rings were transportable and you had to request for them to bring it to the campsite. There was also an apartment right across from where we were sleeping and illuminated our campsite. You can see the lights from the buildings. It was a weekend of laughs, irony, trains, fun and friendship.

I always make Monica bring her guitar everywhere we go. She has a lot of talent and she plays all the songs I know. Notice Garcia holding the space lights that I couldn't work all the while playing the nose flute. Yes, such a thing exists and he is never without it cause you never know when it'll come in handy. I think the way it works is to blow out your nose and use the size of your mouth to change the notes. Yes, it's gross but entertaining.

I have never been serenaded in espanol before. I felt very worldly. Derek did a good job of making a Spanish guitar out of Monica's guitar.

Steve totally gets the Man Mode card for the night. Bless his manly skills for getting the fire started and keeping it going all night.

Our amazing foil dinner. Meat and veggies with worchshire sauce. That made all the difference in the world. We didn't bring tongs so I made pot holders with layers of foil. Everyone made fun of me until it worked. I was surprised how good it tasted and how simple it was. It was just a guess and check for doneness. As I told Garcia, pink means NOT done.


Give it to Anel and Bex who toughed out the night on concrete floor and train lullabies. And they did it all with laughter.

I think Chrissy and David were looking for more wood to burn. There really wasn't any since there wasn't even any grass. Or they were hiking to the "waterfall." It was really pretty if you block out the banner and buildings surrounding it. It almost looked like nature.

Who knew that there would exist a campsite that was 20 feet away from train tracks. Literally, the train schedule ran all night every hour. It wasn't just that it traveled all night but that it blew its horn every time. The worst was sometime around 5ish when the horn blew for a minute straight. Glad I wasn't asleep during that time.

Bex took this picture of me. I always sleep under the covers every morning to block out the light. Derek and I stayed up til 6:30 in the morning so I slept in til 11. At least the trains were no longer running to disturb my sleep.

This is our lovely campground in the morning. Take note of "civilization" across the river. I guess there is some comfort knowing that if we ran out of food or water, we can just knock on a door and ask for help.

4 comments:

Zach O. said...

really toughin it out in the great wide open there...i recommend enchanted rock,pedernales falls,or garner state park

Chrissy said...

eh hem. we were looking for sticks to roast marshmallows with. at that point in the night, i could think of nothing but smores.

katieg said...

Ha ha! That is the perfect campsite. I love it!

Luisa said...

Haha! I love the very last picture! Camping in the wilderness! LOL! Well, looks like you guys had a great time!