Sunday, February 10, 2008

Long live Surprise Dates

Success!! Surprise date night was awesome. Thanks so much to all my friends and especially Chrissy. She is just awesome. She dropped by and helped me set up. She made the most awesome poster. (Visual will be put up) Again I am reminded of how great of friends I have when they willingly come to my aid without any questions. Because of my lazy days, I wasn’t as prepared as I wanted. It was a scramble to get all the activities that I planned prepared. When all 11 of my friends arrived (some later than others) we started off with a “get to know each other” game. Then we discovered who our surprise date was and took a compatibility test. Happy to say that Spence and I were only 17 points apart. The closest couple was 9 points apart and the farthest was 47. One of the highlights was dinner. The course included spaghetti, salad and bread. The catch was all our hands were tied together. That‘s where the fun comes in. I think it helped to teach communication and assertiveness. In order to be able to eat you had to have the help of whoever’s hand was tied to you. You also have to help them. If you didn’t let them know that they had to help you then you didn’t get to eat. It was funny. I know it sounds like a very clean and simple dinner so I am proud to say we only had one mishap involving salad, spaghetti and Fantastic soda all on one plate. The scavenger hunt was quite a blast too. As groups of 4 we had one hour to find as much scavengers on the list as we could. As far as Spence and I went, my favorite hunts were stalking this family of 4, making a mother think we were going to kidnap her 2 little girls, having two late teen boys think they were going to show up on myspace doing yoga, a very confused and probably miffed balding Indian man and a helpful WalMart employee. I think the scavenger hunt helped every bond and work together more intimately. When we all came back to the house, it was nice to see how every one interpreted the list. The video tapes, pictures and items were classic. My favorite interpretation was raw fish. We got a picture of fresh fish from the butcher, one group got a gold fish named Hunter, and the last group took a picture of sushi. My goal was to make new friends and hopefully have new friendships formed. There was a nice mix of people who don’t normally spend a lot of time together. I think everyone had a lot of fun and hopefully will feel more comfortable to talk to each other in social settings now. Only the future will show if any love matches will be made. If there is, I will officially become a match maker. I’ve assisted in 3 other couples who are now married. A forth will make my resume more solid.

After that long and fun night I had to wake up around 6 to help out at the rodeo. If I wasn’t sure I was in Texas before, now I know I am. A rodeo. I was telling my friends from California about it. I’ve never seen so many cowboy boots and Stetsons in my life. It was pretty fun though. I was helping my friend promote a membership for her work. I am so amazed at how the thought of a free dum dum would entice people to come over. A dum dum lollipop! Come on. If it was a Blow Pop I can at least understand that. Whatever though. It was cool but a very long day. I was just a little stressed cause I was going to the orchestra at 8 and we ended at 7. I made it just in time and I’m glad I did b/c the orchestra was awesome. The solo cellist was an amazing virtuoso. I really liked their performance of Mozart’s Magic Flute. By far, it was one of my favorite performances of all time. D.U. is always such a delight to spend time with. I am just really happy with my life right now.

No comments: