Monday, February 4, 2008

Public Persona

Well I am officially a "blogger" now. Thanks to my very good friend Chrissy Freeman, who also introduced me to Facebook, I can now journal my thoughts. As a shout out to her, she is the coolest person that always make me feel sane about teh choices I make. So thanks Chrissy and love ya lots.
It's almost a whole year since I moved here to San Antonio, TX from AZ and I have to say I love it here. Never thought I'd end up in TX of all places. I'm a Hmong girl, born in Salt Lake City, UT, raised in Stockton, CA and now lives and loves TX. Lesson learned: you never know where life will take you. My adjustment have been really nice. It really has a lot to do with the great people I've met here. TX is a very welcoming place. I reccommed it to anyone. Not sure how long I'll stay but I'm enjoying the ride.
So as I reflect on the year past and plan for this new year, I've decided to make some assertive changes in my life. The first one being that I won't let fear control me. If I'm making a decision and fear is stopping me, then I will have to truck forward. Case in point: I really wanted to learn more about clothing construction and wanted to apprentice at a tayloring store. I was super excited then started thinking that people would think I was weird and they would discover I have no talent. Normally I would have stopped but no, this is a new year and a new me. So I got the address of a company I wanted to test out and walked right in and asked if I can learn from them. It actually worked and now I go in a few hours a day. I've learned a lot about fashion and am so grateful I didn't let fear come between me and want I want.
It's still a struggle. I find myself in that fearful predictament everyday, sometimes more than once, but I'm working through it.
My other new self will try not to be so prideful. Sometimes I feel I'm the most prideful person I know. I know that it has hindered a lot of potentially great things for me. As I've slowly let go of my pride , I've learned that I'm still fine. The world didn't end and my friends still like me. I don't have to be so independant and solid all the time. It's O.K. to fall and feel stupid at times. I just have to work better next time.
I feel good about the new year though. So far it's been off to a great start and I feel like I'm back to my old, fun, outgoing self but with a much more mature emotional mind. To quote Michael Buble, "It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life for me and I'm feeling good."

No comments: